August 3, 2011

Subway's new bread does something my mom couldn't

First, Subway became the world's largest fast food chain. Then, they launched the Fresh Fit menu featuring eight subs under 400 calories. The latest announcement from the restaurant? New calcium- and vitamin D-fortified breads for all!

Is it just me, or is it like Subway can do no wrong? Replacing their previous recipe, the new breads will provide 30 percent of the daily recommended value of calcium and 20 percent of the DRV of vitamin D. FYI: Those are the same totals that are in one glass of milk. Eating a turkey sub vs. drinking a glass of milk? I'd pick the sub.

One thing's for sure. Subway can do what my mother wasn't able to: Make me take my vitamins.

Growing up, I refused regular milk and drank fortified calcium orange juice instead. If milk were in the general vicinity, it had better have chocolate in it.

Unfortunately, as I've aged and my tastes have matured, that preference really hasn't. I don't know if it's the consistency or the taste of milk that turns me off. What I do know is that my diet could definitely use a bit more calcium. The thought of being able to get the same amount of calcium in a sandwich as I'd find in a glass of milk just dumbfounds me.

Subway has always been a low-calorie, super-cheap alternative for me on my lunch break. Now, it's also a choice that doesn't make me feel so bad about forgetting to swallow a multivitamin before I head out the door. No added calories, but added benefits? It just seems like it's too good to be true.

It is important to note that too many fortified foods aren't exactly a good thing. In fact, you can overdose on vitamins. So, I wouldn't recommend you pull a Jared and jump on the Subway diet bandwagon all day every day. But one a week? Why not?

Of course, I'm not saying that all restaurants should take Subway's lead by fortifying some of our favorite picks especially if added minerals and things are going to futz with the flavor. But I'm all for big chains playing around with a few recipes here and there in the confines of their test kitchens. I do have one plea: Don't get carried away, Subway. The second my favorite six-inch turkey on honey wheat starts to taste wacky, I'm out.

What do you think of Subway's new fortified breads?

No comments:

Post a Comment